Private William Sawler

Bridgewater Bulletin, June 25, 1918.

Excitement was abundant at Western Shore on the home coming of Private William Sawler from the front. Private Sawler was the first man from the parish of St. Martin to go across, and today wears the red stripe of 1914 with the three blue stripes for the following years. Not content with these, the left arm bears the good conduct mark of the two short gold stripes which tell their own tale. Having done his duty nobly and well, his sacrifice was made complete at Paschendale in October, 1917. From injuries received by shell he was forced to lose both legs by amputation. English hospitals were his home until the beginning of the month, when he sailed for Canada reaching Halifax on Monday. In spite of his journeying home by car and arriving rather before expected, a goodly crowd assembled to greet our first returned hero. Flags were flying on all sides and a halt was called at South Gold River Schoolhouse, where the rector, Rev. C.H. Talmay, voiced the feelings of the people in a few words, partly of sympathy but chiefly of gratitude. The car then proceeded on amid the cheers of those who all know and respect Willie Sawler. Private Sawler will go to Toronto shortly for further hospital treatment and some educational course that he may begin a new and more peaceful sphere in life.

Contributor: Rosemary Rafuse

Disastrous Fires

Bridgewater Bulletin, June 11, 1918.

The disastrous fires that have raged along the shore from Dublin Shore to Crescent Beach were extinguished by the recent rains. Much damage was done to property and the inhabitants of the zone threatened by the fire were wrought up to a great tension while the fires were burning. The buildings and other property destroyed were, at West Dublin:

House, barn and outbuilding together with furniture, belonging to Silas Corkum. No insurance.

House and woodshed belonging to Samuel Harshman, partially insured.

New barn and contents including wagon, sleigh, and carpenter tools owned by Stephen Bushen.

Barn belonging to Mrs. Jacob Remby. Barn belonging to Chas. Langille.

Old house and barn owned by Samuel Publicover.

Barn and contents belong ing to Charles Croft. The Wade barn at Crescent Beach.

Romkey’s fish stores. Sperry’s fish stores at Sperry’s Cove.

Contributor: Rosemary Rafuse

Thanks for Help

Bridgewater Bulletin, June 11, 1918.

The Misses Romkey of Crescent Beach wish to extend their heartiest thanks to each and every person who responded so promptly and worked so herocially in saving their home from being burned by the raging forest fire which swept down upon them on June 7th, 1918.

The residents of West Dublin and Dublin Shore wish to express their gratitude for the help of the Bridgewater firemen and others who assisted in extinguishing the recent fires in those localities. If it had not been for this assistance the damage to property would have been much more severe.

Contributor: Rosemary Rafuse